Employment law FAQ

Q. How long do I have to file my case?

A. You only have one year from the date that an alleged discriminatory act occurred to file your case with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. This is why it is important to contact us as soon as possible. We should begin preparing your case now. If it has been over a year since the incident occurred, do not hesitate to contact us. We will review your case and determine whether any legal options exist to hold your employer accountable.

Q. Can my employer fire me for reporting sexual harassment or discrimination?

A. No. Your employer cannot legally retaliate against you for reporting illegal treatment. Retaliation includes not only firing, but any adverse action that negatively affects you. If you were threatened or your hours were cut or you were denied a promotion, we can help you hold your employer accountable.

Q. What damages are available in employment law cases?

A. This depends on your specific claim and your circumstances. Damages can include any of the financial and emotional losses you incurred as a result of your employer's wrongdoing. You may be eligible for job reinstatement, back pay, front pay, lost benefits, compensatory and punitive damages or any combination thereof.

Q. My co-worker harassed me. Is my employer liable?

A. This is a complex question that depends on the details of the incident and your co-worker's role at the company. Employers are generally liable for the actions of supervisors. Does your co-worker supervise your work? Does he or she have the authority to promote or fire you? Employers are also required by law to take action to act to stop illegal discrimination and harassment as soon as they learn of it. Did you report your co-workers actions? If you reported it and your employer did not take proper steps to protect you and others from further mistreatment, your employer may be liable. The answer to this question can fall into a gray area. If you are being mistreated at work by anyone, even a customer or client, contact us today to learn about your options.

Call 510-832-5411 or

Email Us Now